Dr. Black's Eye Associates of Southern Indiana
302 West 14th Street, Suite 100A
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Phone: (812) 284-0660
Monday—Friday | 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.
How is GLAUCOMA treated?
Although there is currently no cure for glaucoma, there are several effective treatment options to slow or halt progression of this disease.
- Medication, usually in the form of eye drops, can help relieve pressure within the eye.
- Recent advances in laser surgery make it possible to improve the underlying condition that contributes to elevation of pressure within the eye. Open-angle glaucoma can be treated with ALT (Argon Laser Trabelculoplasty), and a peripheral iridotomy procedure can be performed to treat closed-angle glaucoma.
- Most of the time, the efficiency of the drainage canals can be improved by treatment with medicated eye drops and/or laser therapy. However, if these treatments are not effective, the most common surgical option, trabeculectomy, can be performed to alter the eye’s drainage system.
Two innovative approaches to treating glaucoma have become available relatively recently, the ExPRESS mini shunt, and—for those who have both cataract and glaucoma—the iStent®.
- iStent® iStent is the smallest medical device ever approved by the FDA, and is placed in the eye during cataract surgery. It is so small, you won’t be able to see or feel it after surgery, but it works continuously to help reduce eye pressure by improving outflow of fluid from the eyes. After implantation, many patients are able to control their eye pressure. In a U.S. clinical trial, iStent patients who achieved a target pressure of < 21 were more likely not to need their medications than patients with cataract surgery only.
- ExPRESS® glaucoma filtration device. This device, which is inserted beneath the sclera (the white surface of the eye) shunts aqueous fluid into a reservoir and gives greater control of outflow.
Glaucoma Procedures are available at these Dr. Black's Eye Associates Locations:
- Bardstown KY – Bardstown Eye Care
- Corydon IN
- Dry Eye Center
- Frankfort KY East
- Frankfort KY West
- Jeffersonville IN
- Louisville KY
- Madison IN
- New Albany IN
- North Vernon IN – Expert Eyecare
- North Vernon IN – Hearne Vision Care
- North Vernon IN – The Eye Care Group
- Paoli IN – InFocus Eyecare
- Salem IN
- Scottsburg IN
- Tell City IN – Burris-Le Clere Eye Center
- Vision Surgery Center